Happy Monday! This week’s Healthy Living Monday Minute focuses on how proper breathing and taking time to relax can positively affect your work, productivity, and stress levels.
Todays healthy tip is: take a ten minute break to focus on your breathing and meditate during the day. Breathing is something that the body does automatically, but the way we breathe can actually change our mood and the way we feel! Fast and shallow breaths are often linked to being stressed or fearful, whereas slow deep breathing is related to being relaxed. Taking a 5-10 minute break to focus is proven health benefits that can improve the rest of your work day.
Healthy breathing has tremendous benefits, and the following tips will help reduce stress and boost your productivity. There are two types of breathing exercises that can especially help with stress:
- Breathe in through your nose, letting your lungs fill with air.
- Breathe out through your nose.
- Place one hand on your belly, and the other on your chest.
- As you breathe in, feel your belly rise. As you breathe out feel out, feel your belly lower.
- Take three more full deep breaths. And feel your body relax
- Take a ten minute break from technology and just sit in your chair.
- Close your eyes.
- Take 3 big breaths.
- Breathe in, and imagine your body is being filled with peace and happiness.
- Breathe out, imagine your body releasing stress.
- Continue doing this for 10 minutes to feel your body relax.
By regularly taking time out of your day to focus on breathing you can drastically improve your physical and mental health. With the support of healthy breathing, eating, and physical activity the benefits are endless.